Inclusive Boards: Charity Governance Report Launch at House of Commons

By ENPress in UncategorisedComments Off on Inclusive Boards: Charity Governance Report Launch at House of Commons

Inclusive Boards released a Charity Governance Report on Thursday April 19th at the House of Commons.  This report included their diversity figures and findings that showcased the charity sector is still lagging behind private companies with 6.6% of trustees being from an ethnic minority background – this compares to 8.2% on FTSE 100 boards.

 

The event on Thursday brought together over 160 charity leaders to discuss diversity in gender as well as race across the third sector. The research highlights that whilst the gender gap at board level is narrow compared to other sectors, there is still an imbalance at the top compared to the overall make-up of the workforce. Some key findings:

 

  • • There are 6338 trustees on the boards of the top 500 charities by income, and 1961 senior leaders on executive teams within those positions. The average charity has 12.7 trustees.
  • .
  • • Research identified 66% of trustees from the top 500 charities as male, while 34% were female. Out of the trustees we identified, 6.6% were from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, a 0.3% increase from our last report. BAME women account for 2.9% of the trustees whose ethnicity we identified.
  • .
  • The gender gap is narrow compared to other sectors within the charities we analysed. 57% of senior leaders are male and the remaining 43% identified as female. However, 65% of the charity workforce are women.
  • .
  • 62% of the top charities by income have all white boards. By contrast, there are only four all-BAME boards, a 50% reduction from eight all BAME boards from our last report.
  • .
  • • The ethnicity gap is wider at senior leadership level, as we identified only 94 or 5.3% of the leaders as being from an ethnic minority background. There are only 40 ethnic minority female senior leaders, representing 2.25% of all those identified.

For more information, please check out their website here:                                http://www.inclusiveboards.co.uk/charity-governance-2018/

 

Press Links:

 

Archive

Latest News